Dec. 22, 2013

Last night I was reminded of the fragility of human life and how quickly everything can change.  I was babysitting my 2 grandsons, aged 4 months and nearly 3 years.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that my night would include a frantic call to 911, an ambulance ride to the hospital, and a stressful night of poking, prodding, and testing on my oldest grandson.

My evening started by feeding the baby and playing with his big brother.  We watched some Christmas movies, changed the baby’s diaper, and played some more.  My oldest grandson was exhausted from a long day of play with no nap and became increasingly cranky, eventually resulting in my placing him in timeout for a couple minutes.  He cried when I imposed the timeout and I felt bad for causing my best friend to cry, but knew that he had to be taught to be respectful and to listen when he was told to do something by his parents or grandparents.

After the timeout, play time resumed.  As I played with baby brother, big brother played with his cars 15 feet to my left.  When he stopped making car sounds a couple minutes later, I assumed he had fallen asleep and walked over to check on him.  The sight that awaited me resulted in a feeling of panic and helplessness that I have never experienced.  My oldest grandson was lying on his side, mildly seizing, eyes wide open, his mouth moving in a chewing motion as he hyper-salivated.  My immediate thought was that he had swallowed something or ingested something that was toxic.  I swabbed his mouth with my fingers to make sure his airway was clear and rolled him onto his back to see if I could elicit a response from him.  His eyes were still wide open and he was unresponsive.  At this point, the dreadful thought that my precious grandson may be dying right before my eyes began to creep into my mind.  I grabbed my phone and dialed 911 through my tears and made the call that no parent or grandparent ever wants to make.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I could see that he was breathing and had now closed his eyes.  Now, as I waited for the ambulance to arrive, I had to make the phone call to his mother to let her know that the child she entrusted to my care for the evening was unresponsive and awaiting transport to the ER.  By the time he arrived at the hospital, my grandson was awake and crying.  After hours of tests, all showing no problems, he was released.

While more tests await him, he is at home, healthy, and happy.  Last night reminded me to never take the next hour or the next day for granted.  Let your kids and grand-kids know that you love them and treasure every minute with them.  Never let your guard down and understand that everything can change in a matter of seconds.

Christmas came early for me this year.  I still have my grandson and I don’t need anything else.

3 thoughts on “Dec. 22, 2013

  1. Reblogged this on Pro Life Pop Pop and commented:

    Two years ago today, I wrote about a terrifying incident that had occurred the night before. The previous night, my oldest grandson had suffered a seizure while in my care. When I wrote this piece I was trying to convey the sense of fear and helplessness I initially felt when I discovered my grandson seizing. What I didn’t document when I first wrote this, was that the 911 dispatcher had mistakenly disconnected me twice while I was trying to get help for my grandson. My initial thought when this happened was “Why me?” Now I know that it wasn’t about me at all. I now know that I was where I was that night for a reason. Looking back, I thank God that I didn’t give in to panic and that I did what I had to do to make sure my grandson was taken care of. I was reminded that night that each of us has a source of inner strength that we can tap into at times of crisis. It is there anytime we need it and it will never fail us.
    I treasured my grandsons before that night and I treasure them even more now. As long as they are happy and healthy, there is nothing else I need or want.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s